Monday, May 30, 2011
I chose to write today for a couple of reasons:
Today was the day I was supposed to run my first marathon. Which is the whole reason I started this blog to document that journey.
Today I ran two miles after a whole month off... it was tough and challenging.
However, I have a good reason well ...two good reasons that I did not run that marathon and two mile is kinda tough for me.
I have had a very rough pregnancy and was getting sick up to ten times a day up till about a week ago. I am finally feeling better. I was not able to run much during that time due to being so sick and running made it worse.
Since I could not train for the marathon properly I had to postpone to till next. It was a tough decision but really the best one.
Now that I am feeling better... I have started running and working out again. It is not as much as my first pregnancy but I need to listen to my body and do what is best for the two babies on board.
I am still on my journey to the a marathon is has just taken a wonderful detour and I cant wait to see how the journey unfolds.
I am happy to be back running and blogging thought!!
Wednesday, March 2, 2011
Though this would be a way to get to know me a little better
Bed size: Queen ( I long for the day we can get a King)
Chore you dislike: Vacuuming… I would clean my bathroom ten times a day if it meant I never had to vacuum
Dogs:1 dog named Henry he is stray from Puerto Rico… our first baby!
Essential start to your day: A Stretch
Favorite color: Blue Pink
Gold or silver: Silver
Instruments you play: None… unless you count the recorder that I learn in 3rd grade
Job title: Assistant Program for a Non-profit
Kids: almost two year little boy!
Live: Salem, MA
Mom's name: DEBBIE
Nickname: Kbails, Kails, Smails Mrs Smailey
Overnight hospital stay: post delivery.
Pet peeves: Not following through with something
Quote from a movie: The prize is a surprise… Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and I love smiling…Smiling is my favorite
Righty or lefty: righty
Siblings: two brothers
Time you wake up: 5-6
Underwear: Depends on the day
Vegetables you don't like: Love them all
What makes you run late: Not making my lunch at night…
Xrays you had: too many to count
Yummy food you make: I love oatmeal pb cookies
Zoo animal favorites: Giraffes
IF you decide to follow the blog world do your own ABC post the link I would love to read more about you!
Tuesday, February 22, 2011
So I have not being posting my weekly exercise goals because frankly who cares except me!! While I don't think anyone really cares I am going to start doing them again. I like have a record of what I am doing and it keeps me honest. To take the honesty to the next level, I am going to post recaps of the previous week. I sometimes have great intentions but life gets in the way. So here goes the pans for this week
Sunday Half at the Hamptons
Monday : Boot Camp
Tuesday: Three Mile Run
Wednesday: Boot Camp 1 mile warm up 5x 400 1 mile cool down
Thrusday: Three Mile Run
Friday: Boot Camp
Saturday: 3mile tempo run
Sunday: 6 miles
I am trying out a new plan with a new goal in mind more to come later this week.
Wednesday, February 16, 2011
So embracing stepping out of my comfort zone, I have decided to set up my own running group. I am really lost on how to go about it. I really dont know too many runners in my area ( I guess the point of starting a group). I have started researching and reaching out to some people but really I am still at square one. So I thought I would reach out to the blogging world. I have a few questions...
Have you started a running group?
Live in the area and want find some running buddies?
Have any tips on how to start a group?
When researching, I stumbled upon Irun Mommies and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them?
Any input would be greatly appericated.
I am very excited to get this group in motion...
Tuesday, February 15, 2011
Three Reasons I am excited about this race...
1. We run along the beach and I find nothing more relaxing or peaceful than running along the water. I have been missing running along the water due to all the snow so I am pumped to be back along the beach.
Monday, February 14, 2011
or this guy
But the first guy is at class and the second guy is fast asleep in his crib.
So these two are my hot dates
Thursday, February 10, 2011
Monday, January 17, 2011
Well 3 hours later I found myself back downstairs doing another 3.75 to complete the whole 10 miles.
I wish I could have done it all at once but it just wasn't feasible this weekend. I was worried that this is not as effective doing a long run at all once. I did some research, read some forums, blogs and articles about this topic.
Here an article
And a blog post from
Conclusion from my research is it ok to split your run when:
That is the only option ( time constraints, heat, cold etc)
You don't do it all the time
You are looking to break any records in your race.
My conclusion is getting the 10 miles is better than not for me and in order for me to be successful in marathon training I need to be flexible. If some weeks my long run needs to be split so be it although i would aim for less than 3 times in a training cycle. Training as a whole is more important than one run...
I would love some more expert opinions on this topic....
Do you ever split your long runs? Why and how often?
What are your thoughs on this topica
Sunday, January 16, 2011
Plans for the week
Monday: 60 min Bootcamp
Tuesday: 1 mile warm up 12x 400 (90 sec RI) 1 mile cool down
Wednesday: 60 Min Bootcamp
Thursday: 1 mile warm up 4 mile tempo 1 mile cool down
Friday: 60 Min Bootcamp
Saturday: 11 mile long run
Just cause I really think this has helped my mood I will share 10 simple things that made me happy today ( in no certain order)
1. Watching L Boogie dance
2. Walking my door
3. The new flavors of greek yogurt
4. Staying on budget at the grocery store
5. J coming home after he was at work all day
6. Bedtime stories with L Boogie
7. Cooking dinner
8. Thinking about my upcoming week
9. Reading so great blogs
10. Cuddling on the couch with J
What are some simple things that made you happy today?
Friday, January 14, 2011
We managed to move stuff around so I am not looking at a bunch of boxes. This is my view:
Any ideas? Care to share your workout space?
I would love any decorating help... Thanks!!
Thursday, January 13, 2011
1. I have been washing my hair less and less and getting more and more compliments on how good it looks. I have never thought about not washing my hair after workout but after reading many a post from Janae about not washing her hair and seeing how good her hair always looks. I decided to get it a whirl on day when I was running late for work and just had time to shower but not wash my hair. I have been running in 10 degree weather and use dry shampoo but I am embracing this more and more and my hair thanks me!! So thanks to Janae for the inspiration!
2. I stumbled upon a recipe last night on Leslie's blog and I actually dreamed about it!! I cant wait to make Shaved brussels sprouts tonight. This morning I made a special trip to the store to get the ingredients. I LOVED Brussels sprouts. I will let you know how it turns out!
3. The one downside (if you can really call it a downside) to owning your own treadmill is there is never a good excuse not to work out. As I said before I slept like crap so I did not make it to the gym this morning and J is working tonight so normally I would scrap it all together but I can just hop on the treadmill in the basement after L boogie goes to bed so I have no excuses. No excuses which I guess is good unless you are looking for an excuse which today I am!
What are some random thngs on your mind today??
Wednesday, January 12, 2011
We started off with some sledding... someone was not a fan...
After we made some cookies... I went to the basement and tried out my new treadmill! Excuse the nasty basement floor... not the best scenery. It was a little musty and cool down there. I hope it gets better. My workouts got a little messed this week due to the weather. I was running short on time so I just did some speed work and did a 5k in 27:23!
Overall it was a great day!! I will end this post with a few questions for you...
Tuesday, January 4, 2011
Monday, January 3, 2011
Resolution Run Report
I had decided to do 4 miles at my gym before the race and then walk the tenth of a mile to the Frost Four start line ( Love local races). I even printed out the bib and wore it on the treadmill at the gym. (my camera broke so no pics). I wrote on my bib I will learn to love the treadmill. (Living in Ma and needing to train in the cold icy months this is a must for me even more so with my husbands schedule. ) I got many compliments and comments on the bib. I explained the race and the world of blogging to a few folks. I hopped on the treadmill and started the run.
I started cautiously since the treadmill burns me (or at least my mind) out quickly.
Mile 1 11:00 pace
Mile 210:45 pace
Mile 3 10:30 pace
Mile 4 10:15 pace
Total 4 miles in 42 minutes 10:45 pace
I felt great and probably should have pushed myself more. It actually flew by and I enjoyed my time on the treadmill. I might reach my goal of enjoying the treadmill!!
Then I hopped off the treadmill and headed over to the start line for the Frosty Four. This race is great and growing every year. It also kicks off my first race for the Run for the bling of it challenge ( even though there was no bling) since I waited too long to sign up and did not get a t shirt... bummer! The weather was wonderful! I ran in capris and long sleeve t-shirt ( unheard of in New England in January). The start was delayed about 20 minutes making my legs a little tired and sore. Since there had been a blizzard the week before and the streets are old and narrow it took me almost 2 minutes to cross the start line... just in time for my garmin to die. The race was very congested and almost dangerous for the first 1.5 mile people would just stop and walk without looking. There is typically someone calling out the splits but not this year. There was a great crowd presence but I was tired and struggled a bit... I think it may have been too much champagne the next before. Overall, I felt pretty good and was happy to be done when I crossed the finish. I saw my time when I finished and was slightly bummed but then I remembered it took me 2 minutes to cross the starting line.
Results were 45:18 11:20 pace but if you minus the 2 minutes it is a 10:45 pace not too bad as part of my run.
After the race I grabbed some water and then I decided to run the two miles to my car. At 11:00 pace, it felt better to run then walk so I went for it.
The whole run ended up being 10 miles in 1:48 which is 10:45 pace.
I am happy with my first long run of Marathon training and it was a great way to kick of the new year.
Do ever use races as part of your longer runs for that day??
Sunday, January 2, 2011
- Run 1111 miles in 2011 which is roughly 93 miles a month or 23 miles per week
- Stick to training plan including speed workouts- When not in training run 4times per week with one speed work out, one hill work out, one tempo run and long run and cross train twice
- Run a marathon
- PR in 10K and Half-marathon
- Become a Half -Fanatic
- Lift 2 to 3 times per week
- Find a running group/ partner
- Eat 4 sweet things or less a week
- No more than 2 cups of coffee a day
- Drink 2 cups of water to each cup of seltzer
- Provide new and interesting meals for the whole family
- Do weekly meal planning
- Develop my writing further--- I suck as a writer
- Bring more focus to blog
- Comment and connect with other bloggers more
- Meet other blogger and maybe find some blogging running partners( anyone coming to Boston for the marathon let me know)
- Be a more present wife and mother
- Enjoy the simple things in life
- Find joy in the everyday thing
Monday- Boot Camp
7 fruits/ vegetables (1)
60 minute spin (6)
90 Power Yoga (4.5)
2 mile walk(2)
6 mile run (6)
1.5 mile walk (1.5)10 Mile run (10)
60 minute Spin (6)
7 fruits/ vegetables (1)
Hot Power Yoga 90 mins (4.5)
5 mile family walk (5)
Happy New Year!
Wednesday- Boot camp and 4 mile run
Thursday- 2 miles easy-2 miles @ Tempo pace -2 miles easy
Friday- Boot Camp
Saturday -9 miles @10:45 pace